The EDP Easter College Showcase (Hammonton/Pittsgrove) kicked off at 8:25AM this Good Friday morning April 14, 2017. This is the first of premier showcase tournaments hosted by the Eastern Development Program that brings 100’s of college coaches (link) to South Jersey to see the best of what our State has to offer from U15-U19. This is primarily a Region I event, but teams do travel from as far as up-state New York, Florida, Canada, and even a group from the United Kingdom (U16B St. John’s Wood). This is an experience more for the players than the results, but to make things interesting I picked a few Friday games that may be worth a look if you are stuck at Tuckahoe/Pittsgrove for the day.
A Few Games to Watch
1. U15B – Pipeline Black (MD) vs. STA MUSC (9:35AM Field 4 Pittsgrove)– Pipeline pumps out serious teams from Maryland. This one is currently the GotSoccer #4 ranked team in the State. STA, from the Morris Utd headquarter branch (GS #3), has traveled down to Jeff Cup and Bethesda and has found success with teams from this region. Although it is the first game out of the chute, so it will probably come down to who prepared properly.
2. U16G – NJ Elite vs. SUSA Elite (9:35AM Field 12 Tuckahoe) – This New Jersey team from Watchung Hills hopefully made the long trek over night with this early kick off… Because they are meeting the #1 team in NYE in SUSA Academy from Long Island. Finalists at Disney and Jeff Cup and winners in Bethesda means the LI team is well traveled and prepped for this event. However, this game is very interesting because at Jeff Cup, these teams were in the same group and the NJ Elite team was crowned champions (they did not play one another) with a 3-0 record to SUSA’s (2-1-0). Now we will see who really deserved it, just tough this is the first game out??
3. U17B – Washington United vs. Royals 2000 (2:25PM Field 34 Tuckahoe) – I am sure there are going to be college coaches swarming this game. #1 ranked Washington United has won 4 of its last 6 GS recognized events including the APC Showcase in Virginia in early March. Playing the Royals Academy (GS #8) who have been together for a long time and always competed at a high level, and are not looking for the path to the next level.
4. U17G – FC Copa Black vs. CFC North Wolves (2:25PM Field 2 Tuckahoe) – This is definitely one of the prime matchups on Day 1 with FC Copa (#2 GS) facing off against the top team in Connecticut in CFC. There probably is already some verbally committed players within this group (guess), and a game to keep an eye on for that reason. It will be each team’s 2nd game of the day, so fatigue and results could impact how the game is played, but I hope the coaches just let the girls go at it and show what U17G soccer is all about.
5. U18/19B – SJEB Rush Academy vs. Pasco Fire (3:40PM Field 9 Tuckahoe) – College level speed and strength should be on hand in this all New Jersey clash which will help decide what Saturday Finals look like. These games are always entertaining because they are men, not boys, and they are just a stones throw away from collegiate soccer. The SJEB team gets a “home game” as frequenters of the Tuckahoe facility and are fresh off a trip to Jefferson Cup – meaning their form and fitness is ready to go. This Pasco team (Wayne) is in good form themselves though having won their group at the Manhattan kick off the first weekend in March.