This is a look into the US Club – NJ Cup Spring 2017 tournament, specifically at the 2005 boys bracket. If this is your first read into the NJ Cup series on NJTravelSoccerBlog.com, we will be following the Cup all season long. We have covered the entire girls side of the bracket and are highlighting strong games and teams in the 1st round. In this bracket we have 2 games kicking off today (Saturday 3/4, weather dependent) and many strong teams that will be competing to play in Finals weekend May 6th and 7th at North Brunswick. Please follow us on wordpress and twitter and like us on Facebook if you want to keep up with the events all season.
NJ Cup – Early Analysis – 2005 U12 Boys
There is just 1 bracket at this age group with all teams competing for just 4 spots in a win and advance format. This is a look at the first round of games which are games to be played prior to March 13th.
Watchung Hills NJ Elite PSV
Real Jersey 2005
Cedar Stars Academy 2005 Bergen Green
STA MUSC 2005 NPL
First Round Matchups to Watch
- GPS NJ South 05 vs. Mercer FC 05 – Now you could call me biased with putting this game on the board, but this is a quality Mercer team that I believe was hard pressed to get a 1st round away game. There is a history here though, and these teams were in the same EDP Flight last Fall and matched up at the end of September with MFC coming out on top. GPS has solid clubs though and is the host, (Mercer will drive 90 minutes for this one) which probably makes this game a closer contest than both teams want to see in round 1. There is also the possibility here that GPS has a bit of a stronger side than expected because they have 2 teams at this age group and could be using the US Club carding system in their favor to put their best 9 on the field to make a run in the Cup.
- SJEB 2005 Man Utd vs. FC Copa Academy 05 South – A clash of two of the bigger clubs in NJ deserves some recognition here. This is SJEB’s 2nd of 4 teams at this age group, but they are extremely experienced with 34 GotSoccer recognized games at U12 (that’s alot). FC Copa is hoping to flex their muscle here with one of their Southern expansion teams and this game at Rowan University where they will be housed. The game will be played today – Saturday 3/4 – in extremely cold temperatures which may mean the toughest team survives.
- Bridgewater SA Impact vs. East Brunswick STA Titans – I love to highlight local municipalities when merited and these two teams have quite the opportunity in front of them. The winner gets a date with the #1 seed NJ Elite and should be motivation alone to move on. It is great when you get to expose your team to the next level of play, and possibly be the underdog that knocks them off. Bridgewater finished their season with medals at the Howell United Cup (great local tournament) and East Brunswick is an EDP team coached by STA trainers. Whoever gets through, I would love to see the second round game and the team’s reaction to playing NJ Elite PSV.
NASA United Milan vs. Hoboken City 05 Red – The teams are separated by about 20 miles or 30 minutes (with no traffic), with NASA (from Wayne) listed as the home team will concede that advantage and kick off at 1600 Park in Hoboken. That happens quite often with New Jersey March weather being unpredictable and grass fields often not being ready until April. Hoboken City interests me as they are a new club with a lot of teams popping up in this event. NASA has been around forever though and will want to show the newbies what it is like to compete at this level.
- 77 Teams are competing in what is the biggest single bracket to date in the cup.
- 51 Teams received a Round 1 bye and are a step closer to Finals weekend.
- SJEB has 3 teams playing in the first round – 4 in the tournament. That is a stockpile at the 2005 group!
- All 26 first round games are scheduled to be played prior to March 13th. Good luck teams, and hope your winter workouts and early season form is top notch. I am sure for most teams this will be their first outdoor game of the Spring.
- Top Seed NJ Elite already have 48 GotSoccer recognized wins and rank 2nd in the Nation.
- A link to the 2005 Boys NJ Cup Bracket