This is our final walk through of the girls NJ Cup brackets with the 1999 and 1998’s on tap. Our senior age group in the competition is filled with experienced teams and 2 games kicking off as soon as this weekend. This article will cover top seeds and games, but is designed to get the New Jersey soccer community talking about the tournament. If you enjoy the write up, you can follow us on wordpress and twitter as well as like us on Facebook. Good luck in the tournament and check back here as we will be following it all season long at NJTravelSoccerBlog.com.
NJ Cup – Early Analysis – 1999 and 1998
There is just a single group filled with 52 teams aiming for Finals weekend in North Brunswick. 1st Round games are to be played prior to March 20th, which is just around the corner.
FC Copa Academy 98/99
Toms River Futbol Everton
Morris United NPL 98
PDA Shore 99
1st Round Matchups To Watch
- TSF Academy 98/99 vs. Parsippany SC 99/00 Hawthorns – This is a quality first round game with an older, and maybe more experienced TSF, facing off against the younger, but up and coming group from Parsippany. The TSF group is coming off a Championship at NEWSS in the Fall as well as a strong appearance in the EDP Cup Fall Showcase. While the Hawthorns (wonder why they are called that?) have won 2 of their last tournaments, were quarter-finalists in last year’s NJ Cup, and won their EDP League in the Spring. The game also gets a bump in the ratings because of the proximity of the 2 clubs, just 20 minutes apart, which means there are players on each team that have seen one another frequently over the years.
2. STA Morris United 99 vs. Warren United Team Heath – This game is intriguing due to the fact that you have a STA group that competed in 11, yes 11, GotSoccer recognized events in 2016. That is a lot of soccer… Against a team in Warren United, who is labeled as a 98′ team that has competed in just 1 GS event, last seasons EDP Cup Fall Showcase. The group from Warren did earn a Finals appearance in that tournament with wins against current NJ Cup competition, so there is obviously a decent team here. It’s vast experience (STA) against potentially a newly formed team (Warren). The winner’s reward – a 1.5 hour trek down to Medford to play the Strikers Academy team that is currently 9th in GS standings.
3. Wall SC Elite Stingrays vs. Cape Express Tidal Waves – You can tell these are older aged teams by the antiquity in their team names, but I love it… Capy May will travel about 1.5 hours up the coast to Wall, but I am sure their club is used to it and puts a true meaning to “travel” soccer. In fact they traveled to a JAGS game in 2016 to SDFC which is based out of Montclair, NJ which is well over 2 hours and 145 miles away! The soccer will be good though, with 2 experienced teams. WSC is coming off a narrow second place finish in the December FCUSA Cup in Philly. Cape Express was busy in the Fall with 2 high level PA tournaments as well and I am sure will be prepped for the game on March 17th in an under the lights 7:30PM kick.
NJ Crush Crossfire NPL 99 vs. Jersey United Spartans 99 EDP – Depending on what field NJ Crush uses this game could be as close as 17 minutes away. Jersey United will just use 287 to make the quick trip to the game that contains clubs that routinely compete for talent. The Crossfire NPL team was the NJ Cup – Premier Group champs last year at the U16 level, but chances are the team is a little different this season. For the Spartans, this is just 1 of 3 teams in this bracket seeking out Finals weekend.
- 52 teams combine from 1999 and 1998 (U19 group) to make this single level bracket as these teams seek their final opportunity to lift the NJ Cup.
- 6 Clubs have multiple teams in this bracket – FC Copa (2) Jersey United (3) NJ Crush (2) Cedar Stars (2) SJEB Rush (2) Mount Laurel (2)
- 12 teams received automatic byes to round 2 – meaning their are 20 games and 40 teams playing in round 1.
- Westfield FC and JET Galaxy are set to kick off the tournament with the first game being played on Thursday 3/2 at 7:15PM in Westfield.
- 6 Players From PDA Shore 99 already have verbal commitments to play in College – 2 continuing their soccer at Montclair St and Georgian Court. See Twitter Page here for list.
- A link to the U18/19 Girls NJ Cup Bracket