The popular series continues with coverage of the U16 girls 2001 US Club – NJ Cup bracket. This is another really strong group of New Jersey girls with plenty of college level talented spread throughout the 48 entrants. At NJTravelSoccerBlog.com we are previewing and following the tournament all season, but want parents, players, and coaches help in doing so. If you feel this article deserves feedback, feel free to comment in the reply section at the bottom of the page or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please like us on Facebook and follow us on wordpress or twitter if you want to read all the creative updates we have to offer.
NJ Cup – Early Analysis – U16G 2001
*There are 2 groups (Premier and Super) which I will review together. The first round games for 2001G are set to be played before the April 3rd deadline, so this is what I am referring to as the “1st round.”
Top Seeds (Super Group) Top Seeds (Premier Group)
SJEB Rush 01 Academy Haddonfield 01 Lightning
FC Copa Academy 01 Black STA 2001 EDP
NJ Wildcats Fury 01 Denville Premier Lightning
STA 2001 NPL Mount Laurel United Fury
1st Round Matchups To Watch – Deadline To Play is April 3rd
- Middletown Fusion Black vs. GPS NJ Central – A Super Group Round 1 “War at the Shore” matchup needed to be highlighted. Middletown is not a team to sleep on as they have competed at a high level for a long time and are most likely a true 2001 team having competed at U15 last season. I matched up against them in the late summer with a team I train, and they are physical and strong which will give younger teams a tough time in this age group. Global Premier Soccer – out of Wall, NJ doesn’t have an extensive GS history, but has wins against fellow Super Group teams in the last year which means they entered the Super Group for a reason. Just a 30 minute trip up the coast awaits for GPS and undoubtedly one of the games to keep an eye on as the NJ Cup kicks off.
2. PDA South 01 vs. Medford Strikers Stars – Another Super Group Round 1 battle with 2 well known clubs on the girls side. I am not entirely sure which PDA team this is, Splash or Pre-ECNL? But does it really matter? It is probably a quality 01 team with dedicated soccer players and parents ready for a challenge. The Medford group will have an under 30 minute trip north to face what is undoubtedly a rival competitor at the U16 age group. A busy Fall 2016 means this team will be well prepared, as they competed in the PA Classics, EDP Cup Fall Showcase and Classic. Winning their College Showcase group by sweeping the competition. A win gets either team a date with the #2 seed, FC Copa Black in New Brunswick.
3. Wall Tsunami vs. NJ Crush Storm White – This Wall team knows how to win games with just 5 losses in its 22 GotSoccer recognized games, scoring over 1.5 goals a game. They will host a NJ Crush team that is newly formed, but won its EDP Cup Fall Showcase bracket and competed in NEWSS. After looking at the Premier Group bracket, this stood out as the competitive game to watch and I always like to see what happens when a township club meets private. Also Tsunami vs. Storm sounds like quite a cataclysmic event!
Old Bridge Explosion vs. Howell United Green Hornets – Another trip up the Jersey Shore highlighted here. 2 township clubs still sticking together and facing off in round 1 is also worth noting. Howell will be taking a 30 minute ride up Rt. 18 to face their Northern rivals. Both teams competed in the Howell United Cup in November, but they didn’t get the opportunity to face off. Hopefully the coaches took notice though and did a little scouting on the sidelines, but chances are they did not foresee this opportunity. This game will probably be physical and contested though as I am sure the winner wants a crack at the Premier Group #1 seed Haddonfield.
- 19 Teams were brave enough to enter the Super Group, and it seems like the who’s who of the U16G age group. 29 Teams will play for the Premier Group title which honestly seems wide open from my point of view.
- 19 of the 29 Premier Group teams are local municipalities. Well done to those coaches and clubs for working hard to keep teams together at this age as well as competing at a high level.
- SJEB Red and FC Sportika Solo are scheduled to play on March 3rd – which by my examination is the earliest NJ Cup game scheduled to date!
- SJEB Rush Academy 01 team is currently ranked #4 in the country and during their trip to Disney had a game covered live and you can view the video by clicking this link: SJEB Rush 01 vs. Syracuse Development.
- Talk about a hike – the RYSA (Ramapo) team have to travel over 1.5 hours for their first round game down the parkway to Brick, NJ.
- Equally painful – is Hoboken Futbol Club’s trip to Cherry Hill – at least 1.5 hours down the turnpike!
- A link to the U16G Super Group
- A link to the U16G Premier Group