New Jersey Travel Soccer Blog continues its series looking in depth at the US Club NJ Cup. This time the focus is on the U15 girls or 2002 age group. In my opinion this may be the strongest group of NJ girls teams from U11 and up, but of course that is hard to judge. I just know the competition within this age group is really high and there are multiple teams throughout the State that have already tested themselves Nationwide.
The true insight comes from you – the NJ Soccer Community. The purpose of this article is to create a buzz around the tournament, but we want to hear from you! All readers can comment at the bottom of each page, or email us your opinion or nuances we may have missed at email@example.com. Please like us on Facebook and Follow us on wordpress or twitter!
NJ Cup – Early Analysis – U15G 2002
*There are 2 groups (Premier and Super) which I will review together. The first round games for 2002G are set to be played before the April 3rd deadline, so this is what I am referring to as the “1st round.”
Top Seeds (Super Group) Top Seeds (Premier Group)
SJEB Rush 02 Academy Blue FC Copa Academy 02 Black
NJ Wildcats Averbuch NPL Washington United Fever 02
Arsenal Premier Maximus Red Mount Laurel United Pride
TSF Academy 02 Twin County Extreme 2002
1st Round Matchups To Watch – Deadline To Play is April 3rd
- SJEB Rush 02 Academy White vs. Westfield FC Premier Spurs. There are only 2 games in the Super Group Bracket 1st round (the other PSA vs. World Class), but I chose to highlight this one. SJEB have a sister club team that is the top GotSoccer team at this age, so they are motivated to prove they are just as good. Westfield is a well experienced team that competed in 8 GotSoccer recognized events in 2016, finishing with a trip to a College Showcase in Massapequa in early December. Winner gets a trip to the shore and NJ Wildcats which will be well deserved if they come out of this game with a win.
- FC Copa Academy Black vs. GPS NJ South 02. You have to highlight the Premier Group top seed in FC Copa in first round play. This is a well traveled and experienced group that is coming off a Finalist appearance at NEWSS in Long Island. As participants in July’s NPL Finals, Copa have to be slightly favored to win this talented Premier Bracket. GPS is no slouch though and a tough 1st round draw who may be match ready playing steadily throughout the Fall 2016 season. The hour drive up 295 and the turnpike may be the difference as home field advantage for early season contests usually bodes well.
- Washington United Fever 02 vs. Delran Union. This game is intriguing for a number of reasons, with the first being Washington’s “2 seed” in this bracket. Washington (South) to Delran is just a 23 mile drive and means it could have been highlighted in the rivalry section. These teams also met on October 30th in a 3-2 battle in an EDP League with United edging out Union in Delran. I remember coaching a game against this Delran team, and they are uber athletic and will give Washington every bit of a challenge to reach the sweet 16. The teams combined average about 3.5 goals a game, so there will be fireworks, in a game I personally would like to watch.
- Jackson SC Red Devils vs. Ironbound SC. This is one of those experience games where GotSoccer points don’t tell the true story of the teams. This group from Jackson has been busy since U8 and have been very busy during the Fall season which leads me to believe they will be prepped for this event. While Ironbound out of Newark has produced 8 National Champions in their history and will definitely send a team south that will compete.
Millstone United Shockwave vs. FC Sportika Academy. These two teams are separated by just 11 miles and a 17 minute drive via NJ 33. The Township club from Millstone who have played together since U9 will take on the quickly emerging private club in FC Sportika with a home base in Freehold before they move to their new facility in Manalapan. Millstone may have the slight edge though with continuity in their favor as Sportika just has 4 GS recognized games under their belts. However, both teams will take value in a first round win because they have the talent to make it far in this competition.
- 18 Teams are poised to challenge for the Super Group trophy. While a perfect 32 team bracket is filled out on the Premier side.
- 5 games are already on the scheduled, with 2 games being
played as early as March 19th, check weather report, FC Berna Legacy host Cranford and Princeton FC
Napoli host Deptford.
- Last season the U13G Super Group final was all NJ Rush – the winners now are the new SJEB Rush Blue team.
- Last season the U14G Super Group final winner was the NJ Wildcats Averbuch team.
- A link to the 2002 Girls Super Group.
- A link to the 2002 Premier Group.
- Please let us know your opinions using the comment section below.