There were two quality NJ tournaments this weekend (3/5 and 3/6) in the MAPS Spring Challenge and DTS Invitational (both on the girls side). Early season tournaments are tough, and rely heavily on fitness and focus. So hats off to the trainers and coaches who motivated their kids and found success in these events. Below I have highlighted the results and some statistics congratulating successful preseason performances.
MAPS Spring Challenge- Although they didn’t get to play Saturday due to the snowfall on Friday morning, everyone got 2 games in on Sunday and there were some very good games to review.
- U12G Vorhees Extreme (GS 3) topped PDA Barcelona (GS 7) 2-0 in the first game out Sunday morning. These two could potentially meet 2 more times this season, in EDP 1st Division play (5/15) and in the second round of NJ Cup. I imagine they are building quite a little rivalry. PDA won their 2nd game 5-0 and Vorhees 6-0 to finish off a solid Sunday.
- U12G GPS South 04 opened their season with a nice 2-1 victory over highly contested Harrison SC Dynamite (GS 13)
- As I tweeted out, Featured Team: U18G Next Level Sparx were handed an opening loss by the hands of Medford SC Academy 3-1. Medford went on to win their second game as well and Next Level rebounded with a 1-0 win over Jersey Knights.
- U14G NJ Rush 04 Blue (GS4) had a 10 goal weekend to open competition with 2 victories. Real NJSC Sounders (GS 6) had 8 goals for and 0 against in their two wins in the other side of this group.
- U16G SJEB 99 (GS 4) did not concede in their two games. Finishing with a draw and a win against NLSA and GPS Central respectively. While Toms River Everton (GS 6) flashed their dominance with 9 goals for and 0 against in their half of the bracket.
- U13G GPS South started off their season very well with 2 wins against quality opponents in Delran Union and Maryland United FC.
- U15G Medford Strikers Heart and Next Level Fury came out on top of their group without a loss in either game.
- U10G SJEB 05 White looked like the class in their bracket with 2 wins, especially in a very close contest (2-1 win) over Lower Merion from PAE.
- U10G Watchung NJ Elite Leeuwin showed off their skill with 4 wins in a row to take the crown! With 20 Goals For and just 2 Against they displayed early season craft and fitness to outplay the competition. My U11G played them recently at Soccer Centers and I know we were very impressed by their all-around technical play.
- STA Morris United had a very good weekend! Their U13G (NPL 02, GS4) won all four of their games to take the medals home, and finished it off with an exciting 2-1 victory over the Baltimore Bays Club from MD. Their U14G (01, GS27) followed suit by winning their group with 4 straight wins and just a single goal allowed. Congrats to their club and trainers for preparing the right way!
- A Canadian group Fabrose U15AAA took down the top U15G bracket, that consisted of top NJ teams, Freehold SL United, Watchung NJ Elite, and World Class Guiran (Finalist). I must note however (club bias) that U14G Mercer FC Spurs played up an age group and swept the competition to claim the medals in the U15G second division.
- U16G Champs came from FC Berna Legacy 99 (GS 25) who stopped a STA Morris United trifecta with a 2-0 win in the final. An undefeated trip with just a single goal conceded is as pretty as a start as a coach and team could imagine.
- Another Canadian club FC-Saint Eustache AAA stole the U17G group at the DTS Invitational. But kudos go to the tournament for attracting to top level clubs from Canada in an early season event. This shows teams will travel to NJ to play top competition any time of the year!
*Coaches and Parents, if you have any championship pics you would like me to post within this article from the weekend competition, please send to email@example.com